Sunday, 23 December 2012

Is christmas becoming too commercial?


Christmas is one of the best times of year and one of my personal favourites. I love absolutely everything about it except for maybe one little thing. The fact that, these days it starts in October, if not even earlier. The question as to whether shops have made it one massive corporate machine is THE big question that everyone debates every single year. But there is a very straightforward answer - yes, unfortunately it now has become far too commercial.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that everyone should be all Christian about it. If that's not your belief than nobody should push it down your throats and anyone should be welcome to join in the festivities if they want to. However, it is a Christian festival and it sometimes surprises me when other religions jump into it so wholeheartedly. Which makes me think that maybe everyone has forgotten what Christmas truly is about?

But I don't really want to go on about Christianity and Jesus for this whole post. Although I am a Christian, I am not a practicing one so let's think about what else we embrace at Christmas, apart from the material items. I think the true meaning of christmas, is to embrace love. It is the most important of the emotions and everything about christmas can be said to be done out of love. We cook for each other, give each other gifts and actually make the effort to spend the full day together. I don't know about you guys, but this is rather a rare occurrence in my family and I love actually being able to spend time with them. In everyday life it is so easy to have it all overtaken with other things so I don't see a lot of them on a day to day basis. Especially when I am away at university so this is a nice treat for me.

Christmas makes me appreciate them so much and be thankful for who they are, something which I know I definitely don't do enough during the year. So maybe this should be encouraged to be viewed as the true meaning of christmas. It shouldn't be stressful worrying about whether you have purchased the right calibre of present or bought enough food or spent hundreds of pounds on overpriced alcohol...you should simply be able to relax with the people who you love and enjoy spending time with them. If this becomes the main focus of christmas, then maybe we would love it all that little bit more.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment