Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Social Societies

The travel committee: Jo, Charlotte, Emily, me, Jade and Nicole

So I have been rather quiet on here these past couple of months...and there is one word summing up why that is. UNIVERSITY. And you might think that's because I have been working really hard. But I'd be lying if I said that's what I spent the majority of my time doing. Don't get me wrong, I have been doing some work. Reading primary education is slightly demanding but I have a terrible habit of leaving everything until the last minute. And in the meantime, university is literally the most distracting place in the world. My latest form of procrastination...helping to run a society.

Societies are literally the best things that you can find at university. They are cheap to enter normally, fun and it's the best way to meet new people who have similar interests to you. Walking into a crowded room of people who you have never met before is one of the hardest things to do in life. So if you are able to walk into it and start chatting to these strangers, it is one of the most important skills that you can learn in life. It was for me. And I feel like I have become a more confident person because of it.

My advice to anyone joining university is to join three: one sport, one general interest and one specific interest. For instance, this could be hockey, rollercoaster society and psychology. For me personally, I was never very good at sport so I gave that one a miss but then joined the travel society and singer songwriters society at Reading. And it was the best decision I have ever made. Some of my closest friends are in those societies. And I didn't make them because I had to, like you do when you are in halls or on your course or whatever. But actually because we had a huge amount in common. This year, I took things a step further and decided that I wanted to help to run one of them, so I am now on the committee of the travel society, helping to organise, trips, events and nights out, as well running its twitter and blog (apparently I am a bit of a blog expert). I have been having a ball. The girls who I am on the committee with are absolutely brilliant, I love them all to pieces. And there is something very satisfying when you actually manage to pull off an event which people seem to enjoy. Not only that, but it's the best way of putting off work ever. With the amount of things I do for the society, I am kept very busy, and it seems like I am spending my time productively, while not doing any of the proper work that I need to. But oh well, so long as I am having fun that's the main thing, right??

So my advice for anyone at university, whether you will be starting next autumn or you are already there, join a society or several. It is so fun, and you will meet the best people ever.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment