Friday, 28 December 2012

The pointlessness of New Year Resolutions

 

Every year the majority of us seem to follow the same routine. We stuff ourselves silly over the Christmas period and drink far too much...which is fine because it is all in the name of celebration. 'Oh well, it's Christmas' is the phrase that I tell myself over and over again in those two days but as soon as we get to the 27th, what we have consumed finally hits us. And so the guilt ensues.

But how convenient...a week later and we have a brand new year beginning where anything is possible. So many people decide that they are going to become brand new people to fit in with the new date. Funnily enough though, despite what everyone may think, we can't actually change who we are, however much we want to. Sorry, sorry...I know we all want to be the perfect person. Odds are though, we aren't. And there's not a lot that we can do to change that.

I don't mean to be depressing. On the contrary, you shouldn't feel the need to try and be perfect because people should accept you for who you are. Unless you are a bitch, in which case there is no hope for you. People are fixated on this view of perfection and therefore use the new year as a stepping stone, believing that anything is possible. But I am sorry to tell you that January 1st is just like any other day.

This is why I believe that New Year Resolutions are pointless. If you are really that bothered about making a difference, or getting fit or going on a diet or achieving anything, why not start straight away? Instead of waiting for a convenient point. Most people just say anything to be in keeping with tradition and this is why they fail. Because they don't really mean it, they just try for a little while to make themselves feel better and follow the crowd. If you do mean it, don't hesitate. Start this instant and then you can begin to change the world.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment