Thursday, 3 January 2013

Prague 2012-2013

I made another Coster first by spending New Year's abroad for the first time ever. And I was lucky enough to be in the beautiful city of Prague in the Czech republic.

It is the first time I have been and I can not get over how beautiful it is. The narrow cobbled streets, the stunning views, the surrounding hills and countryside and, in particular, the stunning architecture. I don't think I have ever visited so many cathedrals/churches over a period of three days. They must be very religious and, on top of that, are absolutely obsessed with saints. There are statues everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Not only carved into the churches, but lining the streets and bridges and even on top of random buildings - a constant reminder of whatever they believe them to be capable of.

We visited a huge many attractions inlcuding Prague castle, St Vitus cathedral, Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square, Old Town Square, Municipal Hall and many more...We spent New Years Eve in Old Town Square where we drank far too much and was able to go to a free outside concert bringing in 2013 complete with spectacular fireworks that lit up the beautiful main clock (which we had climbed the day before). It was so fun and we were able to meet such a mix of people from all over the world!

Then on New Year's Day we decided that we wanted to branch out and see a little more of the Czech Republic so we took the train out to Kutna Hora. It's a tiny town and it was interesting to contrast it to the reasonably touristy Prague. This was much more normal according to what the rest of the country was like. And, although being a lot less grand, it was still very pretty and had some stunning attractions of its own. From the outside we saw some more beautiful architecture but the main point of interest was the Bone Church. Which, as you might have guessed, was a church that housed and displayed bones! And I don't mean a few here and there, it was covered in them. 40,000 dead people's bones were displayed there altogether which was very creepy but absolutely fascinating.

I had a really awesome few days, despite being super tiring - and I would definitely reccomend anyone to go there. It is absolutely stunning!

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

1 comment:

  1. Yeah the Czech Republic is a very rich part of the land due to its stunning attractions. Same as you I also had a great experience of the Bone Church before long time. As well as there are many bones in this bone church, you will not feel scary because the bones are all cleaned up and nicely arranged. The feeling is totally different from that of the glass tower in Phnom Penh. Now I am looking forward some information about the washington Niagara Falls tour that I’m going to plan for summer vacations. Hope someone here has plenty of ideas about this tour and like to share with me.

    ReplyDelete