Monday, 11 February 2013

Wicked

 
It is safe to say that I have been a fan of Wicked for a long time. Despite the fact that I only saw it a couple of weeks ago, I have owned the soundtrack for around 5-6 years and throughout that whole period, have been listening to it and becoming slightly obsessive over it.  Therefore the expectations were running quite high and even I wasn’t sure that it would actually be able to live up to them. But I was wrong – Wicked was everything that I had wished it to be and more besides.

Wicked is always one of those musicals that people tell you that you HAVE to see. And that it is a real showstopper and none of the others can quite live up to it.  I can now see what they mean. There is a reason why it is the bestselling musical in the country with sell out shows to over 2000 audience members, 8 times a week.

For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past 10 years or so, Wicked is the prequel to the Wizard of Oz, telling the story of Glinda the Good and Elphaba (more commonly known as The Wicked Witch of the West) while they were at university. And you will be surprised to note that they were actually best friends. But not only does it tell the story of those two characters, it also explains how the Tinman lost his heart, why the Scarecrow had no brain and why the Lion was cowardly.

I don’t think I can praise this musical enough.  The acting, singing, dancing and special effects are all perfect and it is literally impossible for you to get the tunes out of your head.  I found myself mouthing along to every single word, much to my companion’s amusement, but I wasn’t the only one, which only adds to the proof of how popular the musical is.  The story seems so realistic in comparison to The Wizard of Oz, with not only gently humorous moments but really poignant ones as well. It includes very human emotions, allowing you to sympathise with the characters in a much deeper way than many other fantastical stories.  So much so that by the end, you actually understand why the witch becomes wicked.  All in all, you would be crazy to miss this but if you can’t afford to go and see it yet, I wouldn’t worry.  This showstopper isn’t going anywhere.
Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment