Friday, 1 March 2013

I Give it a Year

To be honest, my amazing news of being appointed the Online Editor of Spark*'s Film and TV section, has one major downside which I did see coming. And that is, I am not allowed to write for them anymore. I just have to do my editing work, which is fun but writing has always been my passion. It isn't just the free cinema tickets that I have received, honest. But I am actually missing the film reviews that I am no longer writing. I still automatically critique every one I go and see but now I have no outlet to publish it. So I might be putting a few here.

The most recent film that I went to see was I Give It a Year. I don't normally bother to pay for the cinema to watch chick flicks as I save them for pyjama days when all I want to do is curl up, stick on a DVD and eat ice cream. And this was a perfect film for one of those days.

The film opens with the wedding of Josh and Nat (played by Rafe Spall and Rose Byrne) and we are able to see how their relationship progressed through the montage of romantic scenes that are displayed. However it becomes apparent that they got married too quickly. And this isn't helped by the love interests that both of the couple have: through Josh's ex-girlfriend (Anna Faris) and Nat's hot client (Simon Baker). As both swallow their feelings and struggle not to cheat, they go to see a marriage counsellor (Olivia Coleman) who wasn't really that much help.

Heart warming and very realistic, this is one of the most cynical rom coms that I have ever sat through as we watched the characters fall out of love with each other rather than in love. It was extremely refreshing to watch the very human emotions being portrayed for once. There were also some really hilarious moments, particularly from Coleman who often advised them absolutely shockingly. I wasn't expecting to like this film at all but the humour and sarcasm made it for me. If you need something that is not complicated to follow at all this is perfect. You can just sit back, relax and let the hilarious reality of married life wash over you. And it has a really satisfying, although slightly unexpected ending (which is an achievement in itself. Nothing unexpected EVER happens in chick flicks).

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment