Tuesday, 6 August 2013

It's ok to be weird

The title of this blog post is actually a quote from one of my friends, which she said to me quite a few weeks ago now. But I have been saving up this controversial sentence as I thought it would make an interesting discussion. Because is it actually ok to be weird? Or are we actually living in a seemingly all-accepting society that is completely different just below the surface.

The society we live in now, appears to be (and is advertised as) the most free society of our modern era and us western women in particular can enjoy many more freedoms than we have done in the past 100 years or so. Now I am not about to get into an equality debate or a race debate or anything like that. Believe me, I have a lot to say on these issues so it's not probably not the best idea to encourage me. What I really want to talk about is the general acceptance of people.

I have found, that the older I get the less I care what people think of me and I think this is a part of growing up. When I was a child and more so when I was a teenager, all I wanted to do was please people. That led to people thinking I was two faced etc etc but it is much more complicated than that. It was that I didn't think myself to be good enough so I hid who I actually was and became what people wanted me to be.

However, as I hit university and became surrounded by quite a few others who were just as crazy as I am, the real me started to emerge. Which, quite frankly, is bordering on insane (although I do still say that it is training to be a teacher which has driven me to be this way). And we all agree that life would be a lot more dull if we were normal. But even if it wasn't, we shouldn't have to live to other people's expectations. For once, I think we should all be completely in charge of our personalities and not be drive to act in a way that society expects from us. Or by copying people who we expect to be the norm (such as on television or in magazines). It is our life and we should live it exactly the way that we want. So go on and have a go - do something whacky, behave inappropriately in public, have a laugh with your friends...generally it makes life far more enjoyable.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment