Sunday, 13 April 2014

Frozen

I am now on stress-buster number 3.... and what better option could I have chosen rather than Disney. It never ever fails to cheer me up and although I was tempted to fall back on one of the classics (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King or Little Mermaid being the front runners) I thought it was time I involved myself in the crazy Frozen hype that has not stopped buzzing for the past few months.

And now I understand why. It was brilliant. Catchy songs were interspersed amongst an epically action-filled plot which kept the adults entertained. While, at the same time, not scaring the children who it was actually aimed towards (although that in itself is a huge debate. I will definitely explore it another time).

A cast of engaging characters is what really made this film a winner though...Anna, although overexcited and sweet who acted younger than her (predicted) 17/18 years, was very modern and had a certain amount of sassy sarcasm which made her enjoyably relatable. Elsa was a complex character and you couldn't really work out whether she was the villain or a heroine who both attacked and saved her sister...but she was definitely a valuable role model for children, showing how it's ok to have flaws so long as you learn from them and correct your mistakes.

The male characters were pretty predictable, with the bad good one who she trusts too quickly and the good bad one who tolerates her until they gradually realise their mutual friendship then attraction for the other. My favourite though (along with everyone else I assume) definitely has to be the naively overexcited snowman, Olaf who likes warm hugs. He is crazy but lovable and his deeply ingrained adoration for adventure and affection bounces you through the story in a really enjoyable way. He's a leader, a teacher, a hero and ultimately saves the day without you really noticing.

Throughout there are some similarities to Tangled (2010) namely in the main character's choice of partner and how she meets him. But what is more exciting is that the two films have been linked with a theory making the blog rounds that the sisters' parents die in a shipwreck while travelling to the celebration of Rapunzel's marriage to Flynn. Furthermore, Flynn and Rapunzel do in fact appear at the beginning of Frozen, and are seen entering Arendelle for Elsa's coronation...I know you are all going to go back and watch it again just to check I am right (although any excuse would have done really) so pay special attention to the bit where Anna excitedly comes out of the gates of Arendelle for the first time :D

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment