Saturday, 1 November 2014

#Blogtober roundup

So at the beginning of the month I let you know that I was taking part within the #Blogtober fun that happens every October. I joined @tinkerbelljayne (from www.allabouttink.co.uk) in taking a photo every day throughout the month and I am really proud to announce that I managed it. I remembered to photograph something (not always a big thing, but some thing) every single day, without missing one. And through those, I can offer a little glimpse into my totally enthralling life.

You can check out the photos on Twitter and Instagram (links below) or have a read of this roundup to see what I got up to =]

Day 1 I headed over to Bristol today to see my best friend from uni, Jon. The day didn't start well...I missed my train by 5 minutes and bought the wrong ticket so I spent about £10 more than I should have. But apart from that it was a really lovely day. I hadn't seen him in ages so we had a good catch up, did a little shopping in Cabot circus, went to the cinema (Lucy has to be the worst film in history. And it had so much potential doh) and finally went to see Clifton Suspension Bridge (see my blogpost about it here http://charlottecoster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/clifton-suspension-bridge.html)

Day 2 Today is National Poetry Day so I thought I would dedicate the photo to my favourite poem. Which is Stop all the clocks by W. H. Auden. It is a little depressing and I am not a massive fan of Auden's usually (Philip Larkin is my poetry hero) but this is just beautiful. It's so simple but effectively captures the intense despair of grief in such an accessible way. He doesn't use any big words, or synonyms, he just tells us how he feels. I love the way it doesn't have a title either. It doesn't need one. And it represents how the (dead) subject of the poem has now gone forever, never to return.

Day 3 Nothing pleases me more than to curl up with a cup of coffee and a good book. I often go to Starbucks by myself to either read or write but I normally end up people watching. I love it.

Day 4 I had reunion cocktails with this lovely lady (who is a fellow blogger who runs http://expatabroadlondon.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://expatdiariesafrica.blogspot.co.uk/). Normally we would have had these cocktails; followed by 6 more and then danced the night away. But after these, we became absolutely knackered so headed home and watched telly in bed. Since when did we turn into old women??

Day 5 My housemate was in Canada at the beginning of the month, and I was intensely jealous. So, when I went out for breakfast, I decided to bring a little bit of Canada into my life despite the fact I had only gone down to the end of my road. I had never had this before and I wasn't sure if I would like the mixture of sweet and savoury. But it was amazing. This definitely has to be a permanent fixture in my life.

Day 6 After a few weeks unemployment, I started my new job at Mamas and Papas, an upmarket babyshop in the UK. I feel like a lot of my friends, who have waltzed into highpaid fulltime jobs immediately on leaving uni, look down on me for returning to retail. But they shouldn't and I don't care. I like retail, it suits me and (speaking after being there a month) Mamas and Papas is great. The staff are all fab, we have such a laugh and it is really entertaining. I meet some lovely people, have learnt a great deal about becoming a mother and about prams and cots and clothes (which is all good for the future) and it is training me in sales. Which again, is very valuable as most jobs consist of selling a product or service.

Day 7 Exactly four years ago today I caught Fresher's Flu at the beginning of my university career. I know because Timehop told me. Today, it was like I was having a flashback and have caught a stinking cold (I blame my new colleagues who all seem to have one.) Was feeling very poorly and sorry for myself so I hid in bed all day, watching films. Which I think is allowed.

Day 8 The moon was so bright this evening as I was walking home from work. It was weird, I mistook it for a streetlamp, genuinely.

Day 9 I was in London this evening attending a First Look Book Club (which you can read about here http://charlottecoster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/london-literary-festival-first-look-at.html). I love London, it is so lush especially when it is all lit up at night. So I am absolutely determined to live there soon, maybe when this house's contract runs out next summer.

Day 10 It was my Dad's birthday today (aren't I a cute baby). I owe him and my Mum so much. They drive me nuts but they are always there for me and ultimately want what's best for me. I have relied so so heavily on their constant love and support throughout every decision I have made. I don't know where I would be if it weren't for them and my four siblings.

Day 11 I clearly didn't do very much today because here is quite a generic one about the weather...it has been pretty nuts this month though. Mostly it has been so summery. That sky could definitely be from a summer's day.

Day 12 My housemate returned from Canada today - hooray. I missed him so much. He brought me back this which apparently he saw in a shop and just had to buy for me. I think this just about sums up our friendship/mutual alcoholism.

Day 13 After visiting Madrid in the New Year, I decided that I really wanted to learn Spanish. And for once, I actually achieved something that I aimed to do. Well, it's a working progress anyway. I use Duolingo which is a great app for learning languages and am now in the habit in doing it every day. So I have improved vastly. I am determined to reach a whole year.


Day 14 I was invited to the West End this evening to review Urinetown the Musical. You can read my review of it here http://charlottecoster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/urinetown-musical.html but to sum up - it was unexpectedly great.

Day 15 I didn't get a break at work on Monday so they gave me an hour today. Which considering I was only doing a 6 hour shift was pretty amazing. So I chilled in Starbucks with my book and a pumpkin spiced latte. They are definitely my favourite thing about the autumn.

Day 16 My favourite perfume. It smells so good, but it is about to run out so I bought myself a new one today. I love the bottle too, it's so quirky.

Day 17 The way my blog looks now, is not the way it has always looked. Up until recently it was very different indeed but I fancied a change so I had a little play with the font, background and profile principally. Then today, I made a brand new header. Which I really like. Hope you do as well.


Day 18 In honour of Halloween, Krispy Kreme have introduced a Trick or Treat doughnut. Where you don't know whether you are going to get a doughnut with a lime fizz filling or a chocolate truffle filling. Such a good idea but suddenly doughnut buying has become really dangerous. Luckily I got a chocolate one though.

Day 19 Today's entertainment was watching my housemate try to fix his bed with nothing but sellotape, a lighter and his wardrobe doors. What a DIY goddess he is.

Day 20 When people become intoxicated normally they leave stupid facebook status, order a load of Dominos or text their exes. I, apparently, go on Amazon and order books. Which arrived today in a big-ish box. It was like Christmas and I don't think I have ever been happier.

Day 21 Tuesday is mine and my housemate's day off so it has become a bit of a tradition to go for a burrito and a few cocktails every week. I genuinely think the staff in Mission Burrito and Las Iguanas are starting to recognise us. They are the same every week.

Day 22 I normally teach a little girl, piano lessons on Thursday afternoons which is slap bang in the middle of my two days off (I see it as my weekend as I have to work Saturdays and Sundays). But this week she was away in France for half term so tonight (Wednesday) after work I headed back down south to see my parents. I thought I would take advantage of the fact I had two completely free days and I hadn't seen my family for three months so it was time I paid them a visit really.

Day 23 I went to see this movie with my siblings. I was actually really disappointed with it. I loved the book a lot and I understand it had to be changed to make it viable as a film, but the changes were rubbish. It just didn't flow very well. But I still cried at the end so I clearly was slightly emotionally invested in the characters. I loved chilling with my two little siblings today and then afterwards, I went and saw my older brother in his new house which was really exciting. It looks very stylish.

Day 24 Whenever I visit the parents, I always make sure I go for a stroll along the seafront. Reading is quite landlocked for me and I just love the open space of the sea. It is so hypnotic, I could watch the waves for hours and hours.

Day 25 It's now been just over 4 months since I graduated from Reading University. And while I haven't done all that much with my time, my bezzie has managed to make it through her first half a term as a teacher. I am so proud of her and all that she has achieved. So we went out to celebrate this evening.

Day 26 This was a very late birthday present from my sister which I watched today. I love this film and can quote most of it. It is so gently humorous, it is great.

Day 27 I can't believe how quickly time is going. Blogtober is nearly over which means it's nearly November. And that means it's nearly Christmas, which signals the end of 2014. I have loved this year, so many exciting things were happening like my graduation. But I feel like there is still so much I want to do. I will make sure I don't waste the end of the year but some of it is going to have to wait until next year.

Day 28 I spent a lot of time writing today. There are a lot of ideas for novels, that I have started to scribble down in various notepads. So my job recently has been to type each one of them up. And this one was longer than I thought. I am going to be taking part in the National-Write-A-Novel month which begins on the 1st November. Let's see how far I get.

Day 29 The hour change has really been messing with my head. I have been feeling all over the place. And it has now made my walks back home from work very dingey. It doesn't help that it has been pissing it down either.

Day 30 Kids and Grown Ups love it so, the happy world of haribo. Love these. You know it's truly Halloween when these come out.

Day 31 Happy Halloween everyone. It has finally arrived. Which means I have successfully made it through the whole of Blogtober. Feeling faintly proud of myself. I hope you are all having a fabulous night of festivities and aren't scaring too many old ladies/children with your costumes.


I hope you have all enjoyed my photographs and what I have been up to this month. If you took part in it too, leave me links below, I would love to see what everyone got up to.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

2 comments:

  1. What a fab taks to set yourself! Glad to see you're a fellow Starbucks lover ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks =] Yes. Definitely a huge lover of Starbucks. I became so so excited yesterday because they are now selling the Christmas lattes...literally the highlight of my year

      Delete