Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Getting to know me - the work/life balance


How many people out there truly enjoy their job? As in - not 'I don't mind it' but actively 'I love it and wouldn't do anything else.' My bet is very few of you. Which is a shame, considering how much of their lives people will spend at work. I am not very good at maths - but it is A LOT.

I personally do like my job a lot. But I don't love it. I know it's not what I am going to do for the rest of my life and I want to change it. Therefore, I am absolutely refusing to let it take over my life.

And anyone who doesn't think that their job is taking over their life, is kidding themselves. All your daylight hours are spent doing that job, leaving you only enough time to travel to or from it, eat and sleep. And sometimes you might even check emails and do additional bits of work at home. Very few people are able to actually leave their work in the work place. Which is all well and good for most people but I personally believe that if I am going to obsess about something throughout my every waking hour, it has to be a very special something indeed.

And that's why my job hunting is going terribly. I am far far too fussy and instead I am flitting around from one part time job to the next.

In the meantime I do what I love most in the world. And that's write. I write A LOT. That is what I allow to take over my life. I write blogposts (obviously); articles for various websites, poetry, short stories and my novel (which is ticking along nicely).

On top of that I also make sure that I actually do have a bit of free time to myself. I am in my early twenties and this is the one time in my life where I am unimpeded by a full time, stressful job, kids, husbands or anything else and I can do what I want. Which mostly, is to explore the world, to see what's out there, and meet loads of brand new people. So as part of that aim, I have three resolutions that I made at the beginning of the year.

1. Attend one blogging event per month
2. Travel to one new country per year
3. Explore one new place in England every month
 
And so far I have managed to keep to them (although I do still need to book my excursion abroad wherever that may be).

For this month, I attended my blogging event and explored my new place both on the same day - last Sunday.

In the morning I went over to Kensington Palace. I had always wanted to visit this particular royal home as I am a tiny bit obsessed with Kate Middleton and Prince William. And I love Queen Victoria who grew up there as well.

I feel like this palace is a lot less grand than some of the other stately homes that I have been to see. It is all very understated with minimal carvings, and not as many paintings as some, although there are plenty. It seemed far more like a home than any of the others I have been too, which was lovely to see.

When I visited there were two exhibitions on. The first one I wandered around was to do with fashion and I loved seeing a sample of the dresses that the Queen used to wear during various events in the 1950s. I sometimes forget that she was once a young and beautiful monarch who was as much of a  fashion icon as Kate Middleton is now. The dresses are gorgeous and I love 1950s fashions. They also displayed some of Princess Diana's dresses from the 80s but I didn't like these quite as much.


The second exhibition was about Queen Victoria's life which was so interesting. You got to wander through the very room where she first met all her councillors the day after she was declared queen. You got to stand in the spot where she first met Prince Albert and you got to see the famous dolls which were only companions during her lonely childhood. Some of her pictures that she drew were on display and a few of her dresses as well. Gosh she was tiny. So petite. I must have been a foot taller than her at least. Even Albert was shorter than me by a few inches, if his clothes are anything to go by.

In the afternoon, I headed over to Covent Garden for a Blogger's Meetup. I was invited by the lovely @jasxcharlotte (go find her on twitter and read her blog) who got together a load of bloggers from in and around London just simply to meet up, as the name might suggest.

We sat together in Henry's Café Bar (I think it might have become one of my favourite bars, it was so homely and actually reasonably priced) drinking cocktails and chatting all things blogging. It is always so lovely to get out from behind the computer screen and interact with others properly. We encouraged each other, debated Wordpress vs Blogger, shared stories about other meet ups and events and generally just chatted about our lives. They were such a great group of girls, I was so glad to meet them and hopefully I will see them all at other events, very soon.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread
Subscribe to my YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCanSfS_KgbSYzLwYU3mvJoA

2 comments:

  1. Earlier I didn't understand what was that crisis that young people have when they don't know what they want to do. But now I am experiencing one myself. I graduated from uni last two months ago and I'm completely lost. I don't know what I want to do in life, what job I want to work. More to say - I've been searching for a job this 2 months without any results. It is so hard to find something. I am really inspired by people who know what they want to do. Great that you have a passion for writing, maybe it will be your career one day :)
    Great post!

    minty-way.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the world is all a little terrifying isn't it and it's so easy to get completely lost while trying to decide what to do. It's been 8 months since I graduated and I still have no clue when I thought I would by now. But we should all try not to panic. We have plenty of time. Thanks lovely =]

      Delete