Thursday, 5 March 2015

How to improve your mood


Everybody gets down sometimes. But the scariest times are when there is nothing really wrong. You just feel generally rubbish and everything appears to be going badly. Even if it isn't or there isn't anything specific.

I get this fairly frequently so I have come up with a few ways to cheer myself up and put life into perspective a little more. And I thought I would jot them down here so they might help other people as well.

1. Ring a family or close friend
As long as it isn't the middle of the night or anything, they are perfect to cheer you up, tell you everything is ok and that you are being ridiculous. Just the sound of their voice can help a lot but knowing that someone who understands you, is right there listening to you, and will give you honest advice is so so helpful.

2. Text someone you haven't talked to in a while
You know that friend who you used to be so close to, but who you haven't seen in months? Give them a bell, see what they are up to, arrange to meet up. It's so fascinating hearing what everyone is doing now, and everyone has their own moans and groans about life. Even though their life might seem so perfect on facebook, you will get a much more realistic side to it when they tell you all the details.

3. Read a book or watch a film
Throwing yourself into someone else's life really helps you to forget your own. You can invest yourself in their emotions instead and sometimes watching a sad film can be really beneficial. It makes you cry and releases your pent up sadness.

4. Do something creative
Write a story or a poem, paint a picture, do some sewing, play the piano...anything to get the emotions out of you.

5. Make a list of all the good things in your life at the moment.
This can really help to put into perspective what is actually wrong in your life (with me it's often very little) and makes you realise how lucky you are. I have a lot to be thankful for and this reminds me of that.

6. Write a list of all the bad things in your life at the moment
On a different bit of paper obviously. You don't want to remember these. Once you are done, throw it away. I read this bit of advice (that came from a psychologist) in a newspaper and I thought it was totally ridiculous. But it actually really worked.

7. Listen to an upbeat song and sing along to it really badly
Or really well, depending on your talent. Walking on Sunshine is my favourite for this.

8. Go for a walk
Occasionally it's just a case of getting out of the house and having some fresh air. Head for countryside rather than people who might annoy you. There is this really pretty lake near where I live and, although it sounds lame, just looking out over the water with the sun darting off it and watching the ducks, fills me with this inner peace. It always relaxes me.

9. Treat yourself
Buy that dress you have been lusting after, that notebook you don't really need, that overpriced something or other you have been trying to ignore. Don't hold back when you are feeling down (although don't spend hundreds of pounds either, especially if money worries have caused all of this. One treat will do for now).

10. Dress up
Put on make up, straighten your hair, wear something that you feel great in. When I do this, my mood automatically improves and I feel ready to face the world again.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread
Subscribe to my YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCanSfS_KgbSYzLwYU3mvJoA

No comments:

Post a Comment