Sunday, 30 August 2015

Comfort Zones


Comfort zones is one of those topics where everyone seems to have an opinion about it and voice them loudly, whether you want them to or not. People are always saying 'It's good to get out of your comfort zone once in a while.' And that is very true.

But someone said to me recently 'You should live out of your comfort zone.' And the two highlighted words are what I have a problem with. Seriously, read that sentence again. That particular acquaintance was advising me to live an uncomfortable life...really??

I do understand why stepping out of your comfort zone is a good thing. That is simply saying you should try new things, even if those things scare you a little bit. Those are things like meeting a new group of people, working in a new job, exploring a new place, trying new experiences that you wouldn't normally do. All these things may scare you, your heart may beat a little bit faster and you might not want to do it at first. But you may like them and this might come sooner than you think. And you won't know until you try it.

But doing this constantly?? I think that's taking it a bit far.

There are some people out there who do want to be constantly thrilled. They want to jump out of aeroplanes and whiz down tall buildings with nothing but a rope keeping them safe. They want to be hurled around short pieces of track and go down to the bottom of the ocean with the fish. That's all well and good but, none of that bothers me.

I have come to realise that I don't really leave my comfort zone that much. I am very happy and content here. It's soft and warm and full of things which make my life enjoyable. Every now and then I do things that scare me and that reminds me that I do have a heart pumping blood around my body. But on the whole I am more than happy, just chilling and seeing where life takes me.

What I have also come to realise though, is that's ok. You don't have to leave your comfort zone if you don't want to. Ever. But if you do, it obviously has to be worthwhile to you. You have to benefit in some way and if you're not (or if you are going to hate the experience so much that you aren't going to learn anything from it), there's really no point in doing it.

Ultimately it's your life.

What I am saying is, don't get sucked in to doing something that you really don't want to do, just because someone else thinks you should. Everyone has different distances they can manage as to how far they want to leave their comfort zone. And everyone has very different levels of stress that they can deal with. Therefore don't let someone else tell you, how you should be feeling or you should experience something or you should enjoy this. Only you know what you are comfortable with.

And if you just want to feel safe and you are happy doing that the whole time, that's fine too.

(image courtesy of betheloveoflife.wordpress.com)

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

2 comments:

  1. I use to be the type of person who never moved out of my comfort zone, but when I turned 16 I started doing things that make me uncomfortable at the time but I that I knew would benefit me in the future, like working in retail and then eventually moving to a city all by myself.

    I think we should push ourselves, but sometimes it's good to stay in our comfort zone. It all depends on the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldnt agree with you more i'm quite comfortable in my comfort zone and it is good to break out of that from time to time but i'd be a nervous reck if i was to do it all the time!

    oliviamulhearn.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete