Tuesday, 19 January 2016

The Big Book Questionnaire


I love books. And, almost as much as I love books, I love talking about books. So when I spotted this blogging tag on twitter, I just had to take part in it. I haven't done a tag in absolutely forever either so that was even more of a reason. Let's get right down to it, shall we?

1. Do you get sick while reading in the car?
I do! Which is really irritating but I don't actually spend much time traveling around by car. I prefer the train and will quite happily read for hours while zooming through the English countryside. I was once on a coach for 7 hours travelling up to Durham and I was determined to read. I couldn't just sit there, doing nothing all day. Because it was mostly motorways, I was ok for the majority of the time. However in the last couple of hours, I was feeling horrendous. I would spend 10 minutes reading then 20 staring ahead and trying not to puke!

2. Which author's writing style do you feel to be completely unique?
Probably Roddy Doyle - he is a wonderfully laidback Irish author, who is so readable and funny. Try him.

3. Harry Potter Series or the Twilight Saga? Give 3 points to defend your answer.
Harry Potter - no contest. Anybody who says different is just plain wrong. I don't really need to defend myself but --
1. It has such a wonderful bunch of unique characters who all have such depth in them and they are a joy to read. I grew up with them and I want to be friends with them all! Yes even Draco.
2. Hogwarts - that place!!! As a child I would have given anything to go there.
3. Quidditch -  doesn't it sound like such fun??

4. Do you carry a book bag? If so, what is in it (besides books...)?
I have a handbag which always always has a book in. Obviously. Other than that it holds my purse, oyster card, railcard, passport, spare pair of glasses, lip balm, a notebook, about 30 pens, hairbrush, a compact mirror, an eyeliner pencil, a smattering of change and old receipts...and all manner of other rubbish - you know what it's like. I genuinely buy bags based on whether they can fit books in or not.

5. Do you smell your books?
If they're new...yes I most certainly do. Especially text books or those brochures that are on the shiny paper - they smell the best.

6. Books with or without little illustrations?
Without I think. I have nothing against illustrated books, but I don't really read them anymore. I have some gorgeous ones from my childhood though - a Beatrix Potter treasury among them. I hope to pass them on to my children one day.

7. What book did you love while reading but discovered later it wasn't quality writing? 
 Probably Harry Potter. Hell of a story though, so I will forgive it.   

8. Do you have any funny stories involving books from your childhood? Please share!
I honestly can't think of any!! I will get back to you.

9. What is the thinnest book on your shelf?
I have three of those little 80p Penguin Classics that they released for their 80th birthday. If you didn't see them, they are basically short stories in book form. Other than that, I have Heart of Darkness which is a very slim little book - absolutely impossible to read though. I attempted it last month and ended up skimming it.

10. What is the thickest book on your shelf?
I own Les Mis by Victor Hugo. Eeeeeesh that is a long book. My version is actually in two volumes, but it still counts, right?

11. Do you write as well as read? Do you see yourself in the future as being an author?
I do indeed. It is my ultimate ambition to become a published author and I am very determined. Watch this space.

12. When did you get into reading?
There was 'no getting into reading' for me. I have always been into it. My Dad read to me as a kid but I very soon wanted to read on my own and I was always ahead of the expected reading age when I was in primary school. I still devour books with a hunger that many people take the piss out of me for.

13. What is your favourite classic book?
Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. A beautifully written book and the character progression was wonderful too.

14. In school what was your best subject?
 English, surprise surprise. Did it for A level and studied it at uni.

15. If you were given a book as a present that you had read before and hated...what would you do?
I doubt this would happen for two reasons- one: my friends/family know that I buy books on almost a daily basis so wouldn't bother to try and find one I hadn't read. Two: I rarely hate books that strongly. Apart from Heart of Darkness apparently. But if it did happen, I would have no shame in taking it back to waterstones and swapping it or giving it away to a charity shop. I have so many books, I would not waste time/space on a rubbish one.

16. What is a lesser known series that you know of that is similar to Harry Potter or the Hunger Games?
The series I am writing and attempting to get published right now. It's brilliant and one day you will see it everywhere...promise. ;) While you are waiting try The Wind Singer series. I read it when I was like 12, and loved it but don't really hear much about it!

17. What is a bad habit you always do?
Ummm probably refusing company of friends to stay in and read instead. That happens occasionally...

18. What is your favourite word?
Splendid. It's just a splendid word.

19. Are you a nerd, dork, or dweeb? Or all of the above?
 Nope...I am awesome. Obviously.

20. What Hogwarts house would you want to be in?
 I did the test on Pottermore and came out as a Hufflepuff which didn't surprise me one little bit. Even on reading the books I thought Hufflepuff were the kindest, and most fun to be in. We were conditioned not to like Slytherin, Gryffindor was always way too arrogant/showy-offy for me and I am nowhere near smart enough for Ravenclaw. So Hufflepuff it was.

21. Which Faction would you be in?
I have never actually read the Divergent books but I have seen the films so I can answer this question. I'd probably be in Candor and always speak the truth because I am way too outspoken for my own good sometimes. Definitely wouldn't be in Abnegation or Dauntless, Amity is far too happy-clappy and I am not intelligent for Erudite.

22. Which District would you want to live in?
I wouldn't do very well if I was that poor and I would certainly be one of the first to die in the Hunger Games. So I choose the Capitol where I would be safe.

23. Wizards or Vampires?
Wizards all the way. What can vampires do other than kill people and sparkle?? And move really fast I guess...but wizards have brooms for that. I would love love love to have magic.

24. Love Triangle or Forbidden Love?
Love triangles I think. They always inspire such interesting character dynamics. Katniss' little love triangle was the best. Gah I just loved both of them and didn't know who to pick until right at the very end of the series. Naughty Gale!!!

25. AND FINALLY: Full on romance books or action-packed with a few love scenes mixed in?
I am soppy but I find romantic fiction can be a little bit...well...rubbish. In other genres, particularly fantasy, the characters are a lot more in-depth so I feel more deeply for them. Therefore, I think I would probably prefer to keep the romance to a section rather than be overwhelmed with lovey-dovey stuff.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment