Friday, 8 January 2016

The Gloss on Life


We live in a funny age. With the internet still a fairly new phenomenon and growing all the time, each person's presence online is growing by the year. Photos, thoughts, videos and more can be published in a variety of different channels which is brilliant for those of us who want to get our name out there. But is it actually so brilliant?

Humans, essentially, are quite vain creatures. You want your life (and your looks) to appear as perfect as they can. And social media is the perfect place to produce this perfect life - you can add filters, and project an image that everything is going fabulously and shouldn't you all be jealous of this amazing life I have. While, in fact, you are hiding behind the screen and covering up all the bad bits.


I do it myself. Take my Instagram, for example, where there are pictures of me in pretty dresses, or visiting beautiful places or snapping stunning sunsets. They are all accurate representations of what I am doing at the time (and actually I barely edit my Instagram pics!!) but what they don't show is me sitting around in my pyjamas with greasy hair. Or getting restless at work. Or crying about the fact the things I want, don't ever seem to happen.

And if you go one step further there are the bloggers and vloggers. Now these areas of the internet are meant to be our very own, where we can write whatever we want. A kind of cross between an online magazine and a diary, you can have all the exciting fashion and travel and beauty routines and events and all that jazzy stuff. But with a dash of comforting homely reality. The problem is -- that little dash of reality is becoming squashed out. And replaced by glitzy clothes hauls, flawless eye make up tutorials and descriptions of glamorous cruises around the Caribbean.

But it's not real. That eye make up, which is done in 10 minutes, might have actually taken 3 hours to shoot. To go on those cruises, those bloggers may have had to save up for three years. You don't know what really went on behind the scenes, because that isn't what the blogger wants to project.

You should never look at someone's Twitter or Instagram and go 'That's the life I want to lead'; 'Why isn't my life like that?' or 'I'm jealous.' It isn't something which is actually attainable. Which is actually pretty sad as that is not the aim of many bloggers. It certainly isn't my aim and I have always tried to stay true to myself throughout my three and a half years of blogging. As I believe that my downs are so common that I may be able to help other people by talking about them and get helped in return.

But even if you don't have the confidence to exhibit your downs out there in the world for all to see, my parting advice is this -- try not to look at other people's social media lives with envy. Instead, be content with what you have and strive for what you don't because you actually want it (rather than because someone else has it). Don't waste time or effort being jealous of other people who have made themselves look shinier than they actually are. It's just not worth it and life is too short.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything you have said. It's such a shame that some more fragile people will look at these photos and really think that everyone else's life is better than theirs.

    ReplyDelete