Monday, 14 March 2016

Weekend of Walking

As soon as I get more than a couple of days off in a row, I do the very British thing of jetting off to slightly sunnier climes. The UK can sometimes feel so unbearably small and claustrophobic and I don't even know why I feel like that. Because in actual fact it is totally beautiful.

This weekend, I was lucky enough to go out into the countryside and wander around some of this beauty. Which is definitely something I should do more often. There is so much here to explore, right on my doorstep, I don't really need to pay hundreds of pounds in air fares.


Firstly I spent a day in Reigate. Admittedly I was working so I didn't see much of the town. But on my lunch break I had a little walk around Priory Park which was absolutely stunning. I loved the lake and the woody bit that surrounded it. When you were in it, you felt as if you were in the middle of nowhere. I love how you enter the town as well. You have to go right through the cliff itself. Such a cool entrance to a town full of quirkiness and history.


I then travelled straight up to Newbury to stay with my best friend. On Saturday we decided we wanted to go on a road trip so we hopped in her car and went speeding back down to The New Forest to have an explore. This explore turned into a 3 hour trek. We started just outside Lyndhurst and wandered in a massive 10km circle.


It was a beautiful day - the perfect temperature as the slight coolness meant that there weren't any flies and we didn't sweat on our walk. Or maybe that was actually due to the leisurely pace. Or the fact my feet were FREEZING - within 10 minutes of the start, we were misled by some New Forest ponies and accidentally wandered into a very sticky bog. Which is the moment when I found out my wellies had holes in -- NOT IDEAL. I don't know if you have ever spent three hours on a walk with socks that are completely soaked through but it's not entirely pleasant. I am quite impressed that I stuck it out to be honest.


We were totally knackered by the time we got home. To the extent that we spent our evening playing board games and drinking tea in our pyjamas before we headed to bed. It was just about 9.30. Yup I am 23 going on 90 apparently. But the next day, somehow we still found the energy to walk along the Kennet and Avon Canal for a few miles and around a private fishery. Which was totally gorgeous so it was all worth it.


The UK is hugely underrated and I hope this blogpost goes a little way to show that you shouldn't knock it. Give it a chance, you might be surprised what little spots you find when you are really looking.

Like what I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment