Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Blogging Breaks


If you are an avid reader of mine (or if you are just a random passer by who has a surprisingly acute attention for detail) you may have noticed that the frequency of my blogposts has suddenly (and drastically) dropped.

For about the past year now I have been blogging at least twice a week. I have started a number of features and I have watched my followers grow. A little. All very positive. Until about a month ago when I had a bit of a meltdown.

I realised that I HATED blogging.

It was a chore. I hated doing it, I hated the way it looked, I hated what I was writing and how I was writing it. I hated that my stats were still miniscule, I hated that I was addicted to looking at stats, I hated that I was stressing about them. I hated other bloggers for having better blogs than mine. And, most of all, I hated that I was hating my blog.

That's a whole lot of hate.

Following my meltdown (there was a lot of snot involved), my Dad said simply 'So quit.'

And my response was 'I don't want to.'

This is true. I didn't want to. The blogging world has been my home for the past (almost) four years and I don't actually hate blogging. I love that my writing is out there and being read by at least a few people, even if it isn't by as many people as I would like.

But I couldn't go on feeling like this. Therefore I am in the process of making some changes:

Firstly, I have given my blog a bit of a prune. I have deleted all the posts that I didn't like which included all the features that I had introduced in the past year. These were part of the problem and updating those features on the specific day were what made me start feeling like it was a chore. I have removed them and I am pleased to say that I am once more proud of all the articles I have on here.

Secondly, I have stopped reading blogs. I love reading other blogs so this is a bit of a shame but at the moment I am not feeling very good about myself. It will only make me jealous that so-and-so has much better photography than me, or so-and-so's layout is stunning. And I can't cope with that right now. I am thinking of all my blogger buddies though and hope their blog is still looking fabulous.

Thirdly, my frequency. This is the main one. I have really stripped back and, for a while at least, I am only going to blog if and when I reallyyyyy feel like it. I am not paid to blog, I have no responsibility to blog every week if I don't want to. So I am just going to take it easy and give myself a bit of a break. Blogging guilt is a thing that happens to most people whether they use blogging as a career or a hobby. And it is something which I have to fix.

Considering how much time I have spent on my blog, I want to enjoy it and be proud of it. And, with these changes, I am slowly heading back towards that point.

When I was considering giving up last month, I made myself remember the reasons I started blogging in the first place. None of those were because I wanted to reach 1000 followers or get invited to London Fashion Week or get emailed a book to review every other week. It was because I wanted to display my writing and creativity to the world. I wanted to touch people and talk about stuff I was interested in. And I wanted to have an easily accessible portfolio of writing I was proud of.

It is extremely unlikely that I am going to make a career out of blogging and maybe 6 months ago that would have upset me. But it shouldn't. It means that I can post what I want, when I want. It gives me more freedom! Which is just as well...there is so much more I want to say. So there's no way I am done with the blogging world yet.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

1 comment:

  1. A lot of people have been saying similar things recently, and I've definitely felt this myself in the past! I gave my blog little spruce up and it was quite therapeutic, so I definitely think you've gone about things the right way! After all the hard work you've put in it'd be a shame to quite completely, but no one will or should hold it against you if you cut down on posts. After all, at the end of the day the person we should be aiming most to please with our content is ourselves!

    Best!
    Charlotte x
    (www.talkstageytome.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete