Tuesday, 17 May 2016

The Intimidating TBR pile tag

I think I am addicted to buying books. I kid you not, I do an Amazon order a month and buy odd ones basically weekly from charity shops and the like. But I already have SO many (68 to be exact) that I already own and haven't read. Yet. I will one day.

So to examine my shelves and to pay more attention to my ever-growing TBR list, I thought I would do the Intimidating TBR tag. I noticed that Sarah from Sarah's Chapter had done it and I am now jumping on the bandwagon even though I am about 6 weeks late.

1. What book have you been unable to finish?
Vanity Fair by William Thackeray. I started reading this a couple of years ago, while I was writing my dissertation but because I got busy, I put it down for ages, and I then forgot what happened. I do really want to reread the whole thing and will get around to it eventually. Probably later this year. 

What book have you yet to read because...

2. ...you just haven't had the time?
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - it's awfully long isn't it. Another book that I want to read later this year.

3. ...it's a sequel?

The Red Queen and the other books in the Cousin's War series by Philippa Gregory. I have read The White Queen and I wasn't overly enthralled by it. So I have left the rest of them for now although I do own them all. Gregory has a very old fashioned way of writing and tends to repeat things.

4. ...it's brand new?
I don't often buy brand new books. And if I do I get so overexcited by them that I have to read them straight away. But my most recent book purchase (although it's obviously not a new book) is a book of Sherlock Holmes stories. They only arrived the other day so I haven't got around to reading them yet.

5. ...you read a book by the same author and didn't enjoy it?

I am a little bit on the fence about Cecilia Ahern. I love Where Rainbows End but really hated How to Fall in Love which I read most recently. So although I own PS I Love You and If You Could See Me Now, I can't be bothered to read them because I don't like her style very much and am a little unsure whether I will enjoy the plots.

6. ...you're just not in the mood for it?
I have had Dracula by Bram Stoker for a while but I just can't seem to bring myself to read it. I know it will probably be brilliant and I will love it. But it's SO gothic. And I might even find it scary. (I'm a wuss!)

7. ...it's humungous?

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Have you seen the size of it? It's HUGE. After I watched the BBC series in January (starring the divine James Norton as Andrei) I was like yeah I can do this. So I ordered it. And now I am like, no. So many characters, so much waffle on Russian politics, so many long Russian names. It's going to take me months.

8. ...because it's a cover buy that had really poor reviews?

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. I very rarely make cover buys. But this one had an interesting blurb and I liked his others (Cloud Atlas is one of my favourite books). Since then though, I have read a lot of very mixed reviews. I know I should give it a go to see for myself but somehow it's slipped further and further down the list.

9. What is the most intimidating book on your TBR pile?

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. That book is LONG and it has really tiny writing. Again, it's another one I want to read this year. I seem to be saving all the long books for the second half of the year. Whereas I have read 30 already I will probably only read 6 in the second half. If I do actually read this and all the others mentioned above, like I want to. I will keep you posted.

10. Who do you tag?
Everyone in the lovely GG Book Club, I call to you - give it a go and let me know what delightful books you have on your TBR list.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment