Wednesday, 11 May 2016

The World of Books


So it turns out that even if you attempt to take the writer out of the gal, you can't necessarily manage it.

My blogging break is going well. I have relaxed about it almost completely and I am really enjoying posting only as and when I feel like it. It gives me the chance to write posts that I really care about, that others can relate to and it gives me more free time. Win win win.

And what am I doing with all this free time? Writing of course.

For many years now, it has been my ambition to have a career as an author. It has always been at the back of my mind that that is what I would REALLY like to do. Even when I was studying to be a teacher, I only chose that career because I wanted the holidays to write. (I soon found out of course, that teaching is a lifestyle not a job and there was no way I was going to survive the classroom without having a breakdown so I ended up not entering the field).

Since graduating from uni almost two years ago, I have been working part time as a piano teacher and a shop assistant.

People find this strange, considering I am so well educated. But for me it is perfect. Retail is a fairly social job that puts me in contact with tonnes of very different people (some of which will definitely end up as characters!); I don't have to think about it once I've stepped out the door and it gives me lots of free time. That's what you need most as a writer! Time!

There are plenty of people, my parents included, who feel like I should go out and get a 'proper job'. That I should be realistic about the likelihood of me actually succeeding in becoming an author and put it on the back burner for a while.

But why should I?

I know this is what I want to do. I know I have a moderate degree of talent and some good ideas that people could love. I know what people read, what's popular at the moment and what sells. I know I can do this.

I also know how ridiculously hard it will be. But to be honest, it is the same as any other career and succeeding in any career these days is hard. You have to work hard, very hard, and fight for everything. You have to be determined that you won't stop until you reach the top. You have to have a lot of self-believe that you will make it and you can't ever give up.

At the moment I have the time, energy and freedom (due to my lack of responsibilities) to actually give this a proper go. So I say again, why shouldn't I? This is my chance and I am going to give it all I've got. Starting right this minute. I will keep you posted.

Like what I say?
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CharlotteCoster
Follow me on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/CharliCoster/
Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/walkingintothesun
Like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/theworldwetread

No comments:

Post a Comment